Sunday, May 3, 2009

Catholic Mass, Protestant Service, Earthquake-all before noon.

Who knew that being in Guat would also be great practice for tour directing?! Not only did I wake up at 5am today, but I saw people on the street who screamed Holland America guests as they were a big group who looked confused and were worried about what time it was. My suspicions were confirmed as I soon located our company's sticker on their shirts. So I went over to find out what was going on and introduced myself as a TD who works in Alaska. That got some laughs, it was great! I helped them exchange money and gave them advice about making ship time...too funny! A few guests were from New West; what a small world! Speaking of small worlds, I was walking the streets a few days ago and I noticed some gringos to my right. As I looked closer, my heart skipped a beat as I realized one of the girls was my friend Chars from TWU! I yelled her name and we then had one sweet reunion. We haven't seen each other for three years as she left TWU and now lives in Manitoba. She is here for a friend's wedding. I love how God randomly does that! So sweet.

This morning we went to early mass at a nearby church that our cook Carmen goes to. I enjoyed the quiet reverance of the service but I was also saddened by the many rituals it held in praying to the Saints and lining up for the Priest's blessing. It was a beautiful cultural experience though and I felt honored to go. We then went a mission church and I clapped my hands on the off beat until they were red! Just before the service started I was talking to my friend Jordan and halfway through our conversation we both realized that the ground was shaking (we have been de-sensitized to the ground shaking as a train passes through TWU pretty much every hour). For the next five minutes we experienced a Guatemalan earthquake! It was no big deal- we kinda felt like we were on a boat and since none of the Guatemalans looked concerned, we just clenched the sides of our plastic chairs until it was over. Neat.

We went to the coast yesterday and had a blast exploring around! I think it was like 102F plus humidity. But we all had a blast. The beach was unlike any beach I've been too- it wasn't a tourist beach so we were with all Guatemalans, which was way cool...and the sand was really dark (like ash). The under tow was super strong so we had to be ultra careful...the Guatemalans don't really swim either so that was interesting. I'm a lil crispy today but it was awesome!

We've being going non stop, but that is just they way we like it! All fun and educational things....the restaurants here are super nice and we found one after church today that had a garden room just for us. I had the most amazing chicken avocado baguette possible with fresh salsa and fruit and coffee. Heaven. I'm really feeling like I'm on vacation as I join with the culture here and teach! I also got to ride a tuk-tuk (Guatemalan Rickshaw) from the marketplace and we were flyin through the cobble streets! Total blast. I haven't felt so relaxed and free since the school year began!

I'm praying that the Lord will continue to give me his eyes as I interact with the people and play with the kids I meet! The poverty here is quite prevalent....there are major power distances between the rich and poor...and I have come across children many times who are being forced to beg from the man that owns them and is watching with a sneer on his face from around the corner. I have to pray for God's grace as I just want to throw down and give the man a piece of my mind in Espanol. My heart continues to break as I see injustice but I know that God's love reigns and I'm learning to hold tight to his truths:

Job 5:8-16 "But if it were I, I would appeal to God; I would lay my cause before him. He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted. He bestows rain on the earth; he sends water upon the countryside. The lowly he sets on high, and those who mourn are lifted to safety. He thwarts the plans of the crafty, so that their hands achieve no success. He catches the wise in their craftiness, and the schemes of the wily are swept away. Darkness comes upon them in the daytime; at noon they grope as in the night. He saves the needy from the sword in their mouth; he saves them from the clutches of the powerful. So the poor have hope, and injustice shuts its mouth." I thought this verse was so true for Antigua as we are in the rainy season of Guat's countryside- and the fact that God has power to silence the mouth of injustice towards the powerless!

The Lord has also blessed me with an incredible team- there isn't one complainer in the group and laugh until we are crying...pretty much hourly. We also choose to go everywhere together, even though we don't have to. It is funny...because we are all leaders the only time we are quiet is when we need to make a decision of what we are doing next because everyone is wondering about the other person's thoughts. So sweet! During devos last week we shared what we were learning from each other-and all of us agreed that we have noticed how we care for one another. It is just natural for this group. Praise the Lord!

Love you all, Lou

1 comment:

  1. Wow Laura,

    Life is one big adventure...meeting Holland people and Char!! Unreal..Sounds like you are basically having the time of your life. We are praying for you constantly and enjoying the journey with you thru your eyes.

    Lots of Love,
    Mom, Dad and Melissa

    ReplyDelete