Thursday, May 7, 2009

I'm a "loud bird."

Hi everyone!

I pray that you are well and having an enjoyable week! An update from Central America....

Apparently Mom and Dad named be appropriately as my name in Spanish sound like the meaning for "loud bird!" Isn't that hilarious Dad? My Dad used to call me Tweetie bird because I made noises like a bird when I was little (i'm guessing before I could talk) and the loud came later. Too funny! I came to this bit of info as I was introducing myself infront of a high school class. They all started laughing so when I asked why...they explained that they thought it was funny that my name sounded like the word for "loud bird" or parrot. I laughed even harder as I shared our family joke about "Louda."

Being at the high school was awesome! Luis Carlos, the head leader for Principles and Values class and the Youth program picked us up in his little mazda and we headed out to a school about fifteen minutes from where we are staying. He is a typical Youth Pastor type...so we all got along right away. Pretty soon we were swapping stories about getting diarrhea in foreign countries. I think I have my YFC leader to thank for my background in loving this kind of work. Woohoo! I have loved working with my primary students but being with older students was awesome. It was fun joking around with them and performing dramas...as well as teaching. We taught our lesson on "the mind" and I encouraged the students to think of a "head connected to heart" model (thanks Dr. Pudlas!!). It was a blast.

Yesterday we went to La Azotea, a museum that taught us all about the production of coffee and the musical history of Guatemala. I now know that I consume around 18lbs of coffee a year (that 1 or 2 cups a day) and that coffee goes through a five step process to get to stage of being coffee grounds! Coffee starts out as a fruit-like blossom on a tree...and then the skins are peeled to reveal the bean. The bean then goes through four stages. The part of me that may or may not be slightly addicted to coffee came alive as I discovered how the process works. I'm sure I'm now more qualified to work at a coffee shop. =) We are going to a privately owned coffee farm soon so I'm looking forward to that.

The weather is still really nice...probably around 70F with a constant breeze. Very pleasant! We are off to visit Mayan ruins this weekend in Honduras...will write more soon! Love Laura

2 comments:

  1. oh boy. haha, are you sure you're pronouncing your name with the "r" and not the "d"??? just a thought, that is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, no that was the problem....they heard it with a d instead of an r. I made it clear after they all started laughing. hahahha. why i get made fun of everywhere i go never ceases to amaze me. ha.

    ReplyDelete